Thursday, March 11, 2010

Catch-Up

Oh my goodness, it's been a while, huh? Betwixt all the hectic things going on in my life I officially lost track of time. But trust me, I have some good excuses for not having updated in a while, the foremost of which is that I haven't had internet for nearly a month.

We moved to our new apartment last month, and since then, Verizon has been having trouble self-motivating enough to figure out what is wrong with the line so that we can get some internet up in here. I feel like a nagging mom trying to get these people to actually provide the service they say they do. At least they're not charging us, but it also means I've had access to the internet and email and Facebook and blog only at work.

Oh, yes, did I mention I got a job? Well, it was that one I interviewed for, the one I thought surely I had screwed up too much to get? They called me the next day. HA! I just figure it was God trying to reinforce what I had been saying about how if he wanted me to have the job, there was nothing I could do to screw it up. So I started in December, just before Christmas. I admit, the first couple months were miserable. I was constantly looking for a different job and wishing I could just quit. But the longer I work here, the more I see that God gave me this job for a reason. It may not always be pleasant, but I can do it, and I can mostly do it well. In fact, during the big snow storms that hit us out here, my boss gave me a new laptop so I could work from home-- yeah, kind of a pain, but also a sign of growing trust and confidence in me. She also mentioned that she might want me to go on a business trip with her, which is also a good sign. And there are other perks: my boss can be rather demanding, but my coworkers are a hoot. Nearly all of them are Indian, which, if you know me, is a welcome coincidence since I was struck with a heartfelt longing to someday visit India ever since listening to Casting Crowns discuss a missions trip they took out there to work with the dhalits (The "Untouchables") and have been striving to learn more about it ever since. One girl especially, Priya, is particularly playful and friendly, and we sit across the room and google-chat and make faces at each other endlessly. Yes, the longer I work here, the happier I am that I persevered through the bumpy breaking-in period, and had faith that God had provided this job for a reason. Now hopefully I'll still be able to work here past October.

Why am I worried about that if everything seems to be going so swimmingly, you ask? Well, surprise: I'm pregnant. We found out in February, but apparently it happened in early January (or so they tell me). I'm ten weeks along now, just starting to ease out of a few weeks of all-day morning sickness, and we just got the first pictures:



You can see why the baby's nickname is Potato. It seemed approporiate, me being from Idaho, and all. ;)

But mainly I'm just apprehensive because I haven't been working at my new job for very long, and they don't even offer any kind of maternity or short-term disability leave. My fear is that they'll want me to come right back after the birth or they'll find someone else. So in order to allay that fear I've been working my butt off and taking extra hours trying to prove my worth so that when I try to bargain for a part-time work-from-home (or full-time if that's as far as they're willing to go) position I won't get a complete brush off. If that does happen, well, I know enough now that I (hopefully) won't worry too much: God will provide. The idea of working evenings and hardly ever seeing my husband doesn't exactly sound like Paradise. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, and I will do what I gotta to keep this baby in the clear! :)

Meanwhile, I'm counting down the days until my graduation in May, because my mom and dad and best friend are all going to be coming out to celebrate with me! It will be a busy week, with a commencement ceremony, graduation party, and early baby shower thrown into the mix, but I feel like it's been ages since last I saw all the people I love, and I just cannot wait. It's going to be fantastic.
Anyway, I'll leave off with this verse, which is giving me a warm heart on this misty morning:

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11

Amen, Lord. I believe it!

No comments:

Post a Comment