Friday, August 17, 2012

First Girlcott: The Word of God

(For my initial brainstorming on the meaning of and purpose behind a girlcott, see the previous entry.)

Okay, so I promised myself that however tempting it might be to launch into some epic girlcott for huge sociopolitical reform or something, I was going to start small, in order to encourage myself and others that change actually is possible, even with the limited resources and time of a SAHM. So my first girlcott ever is a total no-brainer:

As a Christian, I support the Word of God!

There is one scripture I've based pretty much my entire faith and Christian life off of, and it is 2nd Timothy 3:16-17: “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” That pretty much says it all right there. If we're working through girlcotts to try and show what we are for, we should of course start with the Word of God, the Scriptures.

And frankly, I would never have had the idea for girlcotts if I hadn't been really delving into the word lately. Now I don't know about you but the hardest part for me about reading the Bible every day is pretty much my lack of familiarity with it. If I don't have a study of some sort of plan, I never know where to begin, or what sort of verses would be useful for me to review and apply for what I'm going though at the time. And that's probably the best thing I've discovered about the Youversion Bible app: the reading plans. Currently, I just finished the 3-day Book of James reading plan, I'm halfway through the 5-day Parenting focus, and I've read 0.8% of the one-year Chronological Bible Reading Plan. In fact, several of the verses I included in my initial idea post on girlcotts were pulled from my Youversion Reading Plans. So it seems only fair that my first girlcott, a movement to support something that glorifies God to a watching world, would be supporting a tool to help Christians get more into the word of God.


I promised myself I'd actually look into things I supported, though, so here's a bit of the associations and affiliations I found connected with LifechurchTV, the organization that produces the Youversion Bible app, and as always, if you have more information, please feel welcome to share it with us in the comments!

LifechurchTV is affiliated with the Evangelical Covenant Church, an originally Swedish religious movement with Lutheran roots that is now a pretty fast growing evangelical movement in North America. I checked them out on Wikipedia, and I know you're probably rolling your eyes, but if there's one place you can usually find any dirt on something or someone, it's that gossip-based website. Anyway, I couldn't find a problem with it, and even if I had, the app is free, so they don't gain any money or anything from it. It is simply an effort to help people get more into the Word of God daily, and contains many different translations of the Bible so that pretty much anyone of any denomination can use it.

Being as how it is a free app, that also kind of limits what I can do to support it, but I haven't actually written a review for it on the app store, so I'm going to go do that, and will probably recommend it to anyone I happen to bump into today who owns a smartphone or tablet. If you have a smartphone, I encourage you to download it and start getting into the Word or check out their topical or other reading plans. And if you don't own a smartphone; no worries! A regular old Bible works just as well, and you can still check out their reading plans online or download the app onto your PC or laptop using their Windows 8 app. Biblegateway is also an excellent website to read the Bible in different versions and does offer a few reading plans, though not as many. Anyway, I'm going to continue reading my daily Bible plans, and I'll see you next Friday for the next girlcott!


Can you think of any other ways you could support the Word of God to a watching world this week?

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by from Company girls, to wish you a fabulous Friday! (I love biblegateway, it's one of my best go to places when I'm studying scripture)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete