Wednesday, December 5, 2012

On the Fifth Day of Christmas, My Captain Gave to Me Five Months Worth of Updates in One Entry!


August!? Geez! [Insert the usual apology here for neglecting to update for so long.]

Hmm, updates, okay, well, I'll make it quick so I can get to more interesting stuff:

Little Bird's Treasures

My store has been doing fairly well, for being a pretty new side project. I've sold maybe six items at this point, mostly to friends and family, though I did sell two items at a vendor site during a Darkon function. Meanwhile I've been busily coming up with new items all the time and stocking my store on Etsy as much as possible. The business hasn't taken off quite as much as I was hoping, but as I explained to a friend, I think this is just going to be one of those stages in life where I have other, more important things to juggle (i.e. work, family, young children, church, etc.), and the store will have to remain a lower priority until I can afford the time and attention to really market it like it needs to be a successful business and primary income. But that doesn't mean I haven't been hard at work. I'm looking forward to what will hopefully be a busy month between making Christmas gifts and custom projects. Below is a custom ornament I just finished. It turned out even more adorable than I hoped!

As requested by my friend's five year old Brony son: "A dragon and a pony."


Bone Throwers Theater

You may have noticed me mention that I am a big fan of podcasts. Some of my favorites are listed in the links. But I never gave a thought to actually being ON a podcast, that is until my friend Jordan, a longtime veteran of radio and broadcasting media, approached me and the hubby about starting an RPG actual-play podcast with a small group of gamers we play with fairly often. We've just finished up designing the world using a book called Microscope, and we'll be basing the mechanics on the Mini Six system. We've spent a few months now ironing out details and designing an epic, dark, sci-fi/fantasy dystopia and the history to go with it, and we are officially ready to begin recording. The podcast will be available on iTunes, a soundcloud website, and at the website posted above in March. We have an awesome mix of players, and I feel so honored and excited to be a female collaborator of a podcast in a genre that is so typically male-dominated. All of the people participating are not only amazing and creative gamers, but very talented people, and I'm really looking forward to this being a huge success in the nerd world!


Darkon

I've been really working to entrench myself into the community of foam fighters and LARPers I've become a part of. My character is apparently at least semi-well known, and very much so in my immediate country, Elidor, because she is a baker (i.e. I bring free cookies and pastries and bribe people to like me!). Apparently my food-as-friendship ploy has caught the notice of a few game officials, because a friend of mine in the game senate told me I was nominated for an in-game award (“The Golden Spud”-- how ironic is that for a girl originally from the Potato State?) that recognizes new players who have “gone above and beyond”. Ha! Boy do I have them fooled! I'm just making a bid for the other players to not disown me despite my total lack of coordination and couth! LOL.

But in any case, the real honor and delight has been forming friendships with other players, most especially several other women who have become close friends both in- and out-of-game. I met Dorie at a Darkon function when she randomly showed up to try it out (much the same way I did). Laura was actually already an acquaintance from church who started volunteering with me in GAs this year (and therefore saved my life and sanity), and when I happened to mention I spend two Sundays per month smacking full-grown men with foam sticks, she was immediately intrigued. We three now carpool to Darkon functions as often as possible, and often hang out outside of Darkon as well. We had a sleepover the other week which resulted in several episodes of hilarity, including “T-Rexy” dance breaks, old-man crushes (Elidorian males over 40 would LOVE to know those secrets!), and the coinage of our characters' shared last name (Some relation, but we're not clear yet how. Sisters or cousins, perhaps?): DuCield'or. Dorie came up with it, since she's a cool Canadian chick with a handle on funky French (see the alliteration I did there?). It means “Of the golden skies” in French. Epic, am I right?

The Warrior Women: Couth have we none, but chicken wings and T-rexy-ness aplenty!

A Slice of Simericana

Okay, here's where I give you free license to point and laugh at me for a period of up to but not exceeding 5 minutes.


You done? Okay.
Confession time: I am a total dork. You may say, “Well, we all know that,” but I beg to differ. A nerd and/or geek are significantly different from a dork. They imply interest in nerdy things like gaming, role-playing, sci-fi/fantasy genres, etc. A dork, on the other hand, just says that the person is basically so far gone it's pathetic. Well, a dork I am. And proud of it, since I am apparently quite successful at it!
Long story short, I like to play Sims 3 (which is a very understated way of saying I am a hopeless addict and belong in rehab). Well, one evening my dearest hubby decided my game and the expansion packs were taking up too much room on the laptop's hard drive so he took all my data and moved it to the D drive. TOTALLY screwed up my game.

My husband, the Sim-world wrecker.

Anyway, it took a full day to get my game back to working order (i.e. uninstall and reinstall the whole thing), during which I needed to get my fix and wandered into the online community forums. Several hours later, I had discovered challenges and a whole new, dorky world of... wait for it...

SIMS BLOGGING!

“Seriously?” you say, raising an eyebrow. Seriously. People play their game, use their screenshot feature to capture photos of their Sims mid-shenanigan, then post them up and write stories about them. Well, not only do I fly my dorky colors proudly by declaring that I fell in love with the concept as well as several blogs (see links!), but I started my own Sims blog! I started off with a legacy challenge because it was among the simplest and least rule-complicated challenge, and my family is currently on Generation One of the Hemlock Chronicles, with a gypsy wizard and prophetess named Moriah Hemlock as the founder. My first few entries were rather blasé as I worked up to a decent plot, but the last couple entries have been-- if I do say so myself-- rather scintillating. I welcome the blog traffic if you'd like to go read it and/or make fun of me in the comments! (The really sad/intriguing thing is that after only a month, I'm already up to 3 followers and quite a few comments, which blows this blog's progress out of the water. I guess people would rather read made up stories about my Sims than real stories and thoughts about my life. Wow... let me tell you, that makes a girl feel great!)

Weight Loss and Tai Chaun Do

In case you haven't checked the Lilypie widget in the sidebar, I'll just declare to the world here that I have officially lost
45 pounds!!!
[Pauses for applause. Takes a bow.]

I've been keeping very dedicated to my diet viaEverydayHealth's Calorie Counter, and going to Tai Chuan Do twice a week as often as I can. I am now an Orange Belt. Oh... and I did this:

Pine boards everywhere: FEAR ME!

Anyway... that's about the extent of my updating for the moment.

[Insert usual promise to update more often here.]

Toodles!


No comments:

Post a Comment